In Memory of

THOMAS WOOLLETT

Private
441A
11th Bn., Australian Infantry, A.I.F
who died on
Saturday, 10th August 1918. Age 21.

Additional Information: Son of John and Eliza Woollett. Born at East Ham, London, England.

Commemorative Information

Cemetery: HEATH CEMETERY, HARBONNIERES, Somme, France
Grave Reference/
Panel Number:
IV. I. 1.
Location: Heath Cemetery is situated on the south side of the straight main road from Amiens to St Quentin - the N29, approximately 13 kilometres from Villers-Bretonneux. CWGC signposts will be seen directing visitors to the cemetery.

Historical Information: Harbonnieres was captured by French troops in the summer of 1916. It was taken by the Germans on the 27th April, 1918, and regained by the Australian Corps on the 8th August, 1918. Heath Cemetery, so called from the wide expanse of open country on which it stands, was made after the Armistice, on the East side of a French Military Cemetery (now removed), which was begun in August, 1914, and contained 431 French and 1,063 German graves. War casualties from the battlefields between Bray and Harbonnieres and from other burial grounds were concentrated into this site. The earliest date of death is in September, 1915, the latest in October, 1918; the majority fell in March or August, 1918. There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 400 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 24 Australian soldiers and two from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of 19 soldiers from the United Kingdom and two from Australia, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves could not be found. Certain graves in Plots VIII and X, identified as a whole but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the additional words: "Buried near this spot". The cemetery covers an area of 5,534 square metres and is enclosed by a low red brick wall. The following were among the burial grounds from which British graves were concentrated to Heath Cemetery:- BAYONVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY, at the North end of the village, containing the graves of 37 Australian soldiers, eleven from the United Kingdom, one from Canada, and one French Interpreter, all of whom fell in August, 1918; the FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, at the South end of the village, in which one soldier from the United Kingdom was buried in March 1917; and the GERMAN CEMETERY, near the Church, in which 14 Australian soldiers and eleven from the United Kingdom were buried by their comrades in August, 1918. CERISY-GAILLY COMMUNAL CEMETERY FRENCH EXTENSION, which contained 157 French and 108 German graves, and those of three soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in July, 1916. CLUMP TRENCH CEMETERY, ROSIERES-DE-PICARDIE, 274 metres East of the road to Vauvillers, containing the graves of 20 Australian soldiers and three from the United Kingdom who fell in August, 1918. COPSE CORNER CEMETERY, VAUVILLERS, by a copse 822 metres North of Clump Trench Cemetery, containing the graves of 22 men of the 7th Australian Battalion who fell on the 9th August, 1918, and one soldier from the United Kingdom who fell three days later. DAVENESCOURT CHURCHYARD, in which five unidentified soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried. ETINEHEM (or COTE 77) FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, near the crossing of the roads from Etinehem to Meaulte and from Bray to Corbie. Here were buried 290 French soldiers, now reburied in Cote 80 French National Cemetery, and 16 from the United Kingdom and one from Australia. FRAMERVILLE BRITISH CEMETERY (or QUARRY CEMETERY), near the track leading to Herleville, containing the graves of 23 soldiers from the United Kingdom and three from Australia who fell in August, 1918; and the FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, on the road to Proyart, containing the graves of two soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in 1917. HARBONNIERES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, in which 44 soldiers from the United Kingdom and 19 from Australia were buried by their comrades in August, 1918. LONE FARM (or LONE HOUSE) CEMETERY, HARBONNIERES, about 914 metres East of Heath Cemetery. Here were buried 35 soldiers from Australia and nine from the United Kingdom, most of whom fell in August, 1918 and (after the Armistice) 250 German soldiers who fell near Harbonnieres. LOUVRECHY FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, at the West end of Louvrechy village, containing the graves of 90 French soldiers and those of two R.A.F. officers who fell in July, 1918. MEMORIAL CEMETERY, VAUVILLERS, a little South-East of the, sing of the Vauvillers-Rosieres and Harbonnieres-Lihons roads, containing graves of 19 soldiers of the 9th Australian Battalion who fell on the 10th August, 1918. MERICOURT-SUR-SOMME COMMUNAL CEMETERY, in which one R.F.C. officer was buried in September, 1916. MERIGNOLLES BRITISH CEMETERY, PROYART, half-way between Proyart and Chuignolles, containing the graves of 21 Australian soldiers who fell on the 23rd August, 1918. MORCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, in which three soldiers from United Kingdom were buried by the Germans; the EXTENSION, in which 41 Australian soldiers and eight from the United Kingdom were buried by their comrades in August, 1918; and the GERMAN CEMETERY "by the Church", which the Germans buried two men of the Rifle Brigade in April, 1918. PROYART COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, made by the Germans in April-June, 1918, and used by the British in August and September, 1918, for the burial of 64 soldiers and airmen from the United Kingdom and 3 Australian soldiers. It is now a large permanent German Cemetery. RIDGEWAY CEMETERY, LIHONS, on the road from Lihons to Rosieres, containing the graves of 23 Australian soldiers who fell in August, 1918. SAILLY-LAURETTE MILITARY CEMETERY, 800 metres due North of Sailly-Laurette village. Here were buried 38 soldiers from the United Kingdom mainly of the 58th (London) Division) and two from Australia, who fell in August, 1918 VERMANDOVILLERS GERMAN CEMETERY, from which the grave of one R.A.F. officer was brought. This is a permanent cemetery, with 7,544 identified graves, on the East side of the road to Foucaucourt.

This page last updated 19th November 2001