|Cemetery:||ERQUINGHEM-LYS CHURCHYARD EXTENSION, Nord, France|
|II. G. 7.
|Location:||The village of Erquinghem-Lys is situated
approximately 1.5 kilometres west of Armentieres. Take the D945 from
Armentieres toward the centre of Erquinghem-Lys and then turn right
immediately before the Town Hall. The cemetery is 50 metres along this
road on the right hand side.
|Historical Information:||Erquinghem-Lys village was occupied by German forces early in October, 1914, and taken by the 1st Somerset Light Infantry on the 16th October. It remained in British hands until the 10th April, 1918, when the 101st Infantry Brigade and the 1st/4th Duke of Wellington's, after a stubborn defence, evacuated the village; and it was finally retaken in September, 1918. The earliest British burials were made in two places in the Churchyard itself, in October, 1914-January, 1915; but these 27 graves were moved into the Extension (Plot II, Row G, and Plot III, Row G) in 1925, the Churchyard being closed for burials. The Extension was begun in April, 1915, and used by units and Field Ambulances until April, 1918. It was continued down to the stream by the Germans (who also used the Churchyard) in the summer of 1918, and in September and October, 1918, it was used again for some British burials. Since the Armistice a small number of graves from the neighbourhood and the Churchyard have been brought in. There are now over 550, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified. The Extension covers an area (including the German graves) of 1,869 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall.|
This page last updated 19th November 2001